Sunday, October 14, 2007

Human Learning

I like how this piece discussed the usage of some innovative technologies in the educational environment. I understand its empatus in truly engaging the student in "authentic" learning experiences. It's my interpretation that authenticity is subjective. Therefore, the student decides which learning experiences are truly worth their while. It seems like a never-ending game of "cat and mouse," with the teacher always trying to find a way to keep the student engaged.

I worry, however, if this can lead to students defining what gets taught in the classroom context. For example, they may not place any value on the Civil Rights Movement or other significant events. So what then? Do we no longer teach that subject? Maybe my perspective is limited beacuse I'm not a teacher.

This leads me to assessment. I am really curious to see how assessment protocols and criteria shift with this new learning emphasis. I do agree with the text in that assessment typically examines lower order thinking skills. How can we assess higher order thinking skills? Will the assessment model also shift? How will that affect the conducting and evaluation of research? And it goes on and on...

No comments: